Right now if you have a vegetable patch or allotment, you might be trying to get through the courgette glut and having courgette in every meal. If not, courgettes are cheap in the shops right now as well so they are a great seasonal ingredient to use.
My courgette frittata is an ideal way to get through those excess courgettes! If you are in the USA, courgettes are zucchini, and you probably also have a lot of them around right now!
As well as using up those courgettes by sneaking them into as many dishes as possible, I like to add whatever vegetables I have in the fridge to my frittatas.
This might be tomatoes, peppers, spring onions, carrots, roasted butternut squash or sweet potato, or whatever else I find!
Fresh mint is a herb that goes well with courgette, that fresh mint flavour adds a new depth to the dish.
Mint is also easy to grow in your veg patch (watch it doesn’t take over!) so I usually have some to hand.
As with my halloumi and red pepper frittata I’ve also sneaked some halloumi into this courgette frittata. I love halloumi and it goes very well with both courgettes and mint as well of course.
In a frittata, which in this case I bake under the grill in the oven, it is really easy to brown off the halloumi cheese, so it is one of my favourite simple ways to add halloumi!
Courgette Frittata for a Quick Lunch which is Low in Smartpoints
This summer I’ve been eating plenty of eggs either poached, boiled or in the form of frittatas, because eggs are now a zero-pointed food on WeightWatchers. Because of this, this dish is low in Smartpoints as you only have to count the points for the halloumi!
This frittata is just 3 smartpoints in total, as the only pointed ingredient is the halloumi. I use light halloumi to save further on points, it has all the flavour still.
So when lunchtime comes around I can often be found whizzing up a frittata in a frying pan, as they are very quick and straightforward to make and also great for the Flex or Freestyle plan.
Pin this recipe for later!
Courgette Frittata – The Recipe
Courgette Frittata with Mint and Halloumi
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1 medium courgette sliced
- 5-6 cherry plum tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves torn
- 30 g lighter halloumi (reduced fat) sliced
- Fry the cherry plum tomatoes in a little light cooking spray in a small ovenproof frying pan for a couple of minutes until soft.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl, season, then pour the eggs over the tomatoes in the small frying pan. Add the sliced courgette and mint. Swirl the eggs around the pan and use a wooden spoon to move the eggs aside as they set so that it cooks through.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes and in the meantime preheat your grill (broiler) to medium heat.
- Add the sliced halloumi on top of the frittata and then place the frying pan (make sure you are using an ovenproof one) under the grill to brown the top and cook through. Grill for 3-4 minutes, checking to make sure it doesn't burn or brown too quickly.
- Remove the frying pan from the oven using an oven glove. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes then use a spatula or wooden spoon to loosen the edges and slide the frittata onto a plate to serve.