I just love the bright colours of this dish! I usually buy normal orange sweet potatoes, which of course would work just as well in this dish, but tried out a purple sweet potato this time, so colourful.
A veggie stew full of goodness is always a favourite with me, and this slow cooker purple sweet potato and chickpea stew is a great one to add natural rainbow colours to your diet. Brilliant for Meat Free Mondays.
So easy to cook either in your slow cooker or bubbling away in a pan on the hob, a veggie stew is ideal for a light summer meal.
I just love the clean flavours of the vegetables and vegetable bouillon powder so I just add some fresh flat-leaf parsley when serving to set it off.
Root vegetables and their earthy flavours combine well with the passata (sieved tomatoes), giving you a dish you can serve up with some crusty bread and salads.
Make a slow cooker purple sweet potato and chickpea stew now if you are trying new vegan recipes for Veganuary!
Just look at those colours, so bright and full of natural goodness!
More Vegetarian Dishes To Try
More summery vegetable stew ideas, perfect for this time of year, you might like to try:
- jerk sweet potato stew from Rough Measures
- beetroot bourguignon from Rough Measures
- aubergine, pepper and mozzarella bake from BakingQueen74
- rustic Greek beans from Tinned Tomatoes
- Cypriot vegetable stew from Tin and Thyme
- chole chaat (chickpea curry) from Lavender and Lovage
- peperonata – rustic Italian pepper stew from Lavender and Lovage
- shakshuka – spicy tomato baked eggs from Foodie Quine
Tag me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram @bakingqueen74 if you make this
Pin for later
Also sending this over to Jac from Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays
Slow Cooker Purple Sweet Potato and Chickpea Stew
- 550 g purple sweet potato chopped
- 2 red onions diced
- 4 carrots chopped
- 1 tin chickpeas drained (400 g tin)
- 250 g butternut squash chopped
- 1 handful spinach
- 750 g passata
- 100 ml water
- 1 tsp Marigold vegetable bouillon powder
- Place the vegetables (except spinach), chickpeas, passata, water and Marigold powder in the slow cooker pot.
- Stir well, season with salt and pepper, and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the handful of spinach just before the end, allow to wilt and then serve.