My easy slow cooker dal is perfect for a busy lifestyle. This cold weather makes me want to eat food that will warm me, both with the flavour of spices and with the heat from a long slow cook.
This split pea dal is so easy to throw in the pot in the morning and then it is ready for your lunch or dinner later in the day.
I served my dal with homemade naan, using this simple recipe from BBC Food by Anjum Anand. It requires no yeast or proving time and was so easy to do.
How to Make Slow Cooker Dal
Making the dal is as easy as putting the ingredients in the pot and turning it on!
Simply add the yellow split peas and spices to the slow cooker pot, add boiling water and leave to cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
More Vegetarian Slow Cooker Dishes to Try
If you like this vegan slow cooker dish, you might also like these other vegetarian and vegan slow cooker dishes:
- slow cooker halloumi bake (vegetarian)
- slow cooker spicy bean stew (vegan omitting the sour cream garnish or using an alternative)
- slow cooker vegetable curry (vegan)
- slow cooker chickpea and paneer curry (vegetarian)
- slow cooker sweet potato and chickpea stew (vegan)
- slow cooker whole spiced cauliflower (vegan)
- slow cooker bean chilli (vegan)
Get even more ideas from my Vegetarian recipe archives.
Pin for later
Pin this slow cooker dal recipe on Pinterest!
Linking up with March’s Slow Cooked Challenge with Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen, where the theme this month is Spicy.
I think this is a great Credit Crunch dish, since slow cookers are so cheap to run. I also used up a bag of split peas for this recipe.
Easy Slow Cooker Dal
- 250 g yellow split peas (chana dal)
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp lazy ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp lazy red chilli
- 800 ml boiling water
- Salt and pepper
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for four hours (or on low for eight hours).
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with naan bread or rice. Can also be served as a side dish to other curries.