For some reason I couldn’t bring myself to bake for Tudor Week of Great British Bake Off last week. I’m not sure if it was the Tudor recipes, as I wasn’t up for making pies, jumble knots or marzipan, or if I’ve just got tired of baking something sweet each week. It didn’t inspire me anyway this last week.
However when I spotted three very overripe bananas in the fruit bowl (clearly the ones in the photos below are new ones I bought to replenish the bowl!) I decided banana bread was safe.
My slow cooker blueberry banana bread makes an ideal afternoon or after-school snack.
This time I’ve swapped out butter for coconut oil, and used some maple syrup in place of caster sugar, making this recipe free from refined sugar. Rather healthy for me!
The bananas were so ripe that they added a lot of sweetness, and I also added some blueberries I found in the fridge. With all the fruit it wasn’t necessary to use that much maple syrup either.
And yes, I baked it in the slow cooker, though undoubtedly you can also bake this in the oven.
A slice or two is also great for a quick breakfast if you are on the move.
And as it has all that fruit in it you can feel smug you have already made a start on your five a day!
Baking in the slow cooker might take a bit longer, but for me the plus is that I don’t have to wait for the timer to go.
I went to the supermarket while this was baking, and even though I took longer than I thought at the shops, the banana bread was still doing well when I got home.
If you are forever burning cakes in the oven, or can’t bake to save your life, or have a busy lifestyle, and own a slow cooker, you should try slow cooker baking.
What have you got to lose? You still get a nice crust on your bakes, as you can see here. Those crunchy bits are my favourite….
More Banana Bread Recipes
More banana bread recipes you might like to try:
- Vegan chocolate chip banana bread from Tinned Tomatoes
- my slow cooker spiced banana bread
- Vegan banana bread from Fab Food 4 All
- Banana bread with streusel topping from Family Friends Food
- Healthy banana bread from Little Sunny Kitchen
- Classic banana bread from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Marbled peanut butter and jam banana bread from Food to Glow
- Chocolate muscovado banana bread from Tin and Thyme
Pin my slow cooker blueberry banana bread recipe for later!!
Slow Cooker Blueberry Banana Bread
- 100 g coconut oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 220 g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 100 g blueberries
- Melt the coconut oil and mix it with the maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs and beat well. Mash in the bananas.
- Mix in the flour, salt, cinnamon and vanilla bean paste and stir until well combined.
- Add the blueberries and stir through.
- Lightly spray your slow cooker pot with oil to prevent sticking. Place a large cake case in the pot and spoon the mixture into the case (I sometimes double the cake cases so they are easier to pull out).
- Replace the lid, add a tea towel or some squares of kitchen roll under the lid to catch drips, and cook on high for approx 1.5 to 2 hours, until firm in the centre and brown around the edges.
- Use the edge of the cake case to pull the cake out of the slow cooker pot and leave it to cool.
Disclosure: links marked with an asterisk * are affiliate links.