This slow cooker banana bread recipe uses up three ripe bananas and is lightly spiced with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice to make a banana loaf your family will love.
With the overindulgence of Christmas almost upon us, I thought a simple banana bread would be in order, with some added spice to warm it up. Time for my slow cooker banana bread!
Making banana bread in a slow cooker
This banana loaf was made in my slow cooker as it is just so easy!
Of course it could equally be made in the oven.
The benefits of using the slow cooker are that the cake stays really moist, and can be left for a couple of hours while you do other things.
In my case, I catch up with some work with cinnamon, ginger and all spice wafting in my direction. Perfect!
Sometimes I like to add frosting and toppings to make my banana bread even more special.
I found the mini gingerbread man sprinkles in Sainsburys, my kids loved them and they top this off perfectly. You can also get (affiliate link) similar sprinkles from Amazon.
The icing is cream cheese icing, which I made using the linked recipe from The Pink Whisk. I made half the amount stated to top this cake, using 100 g cream cheese, 35 g butter and 200 g icing sugar.
The addition of frosting gives an extra creaminess to the banana bread I think, but it is also great unadorned!
How to make
Step 1. Line your slow cooker with a cake case or baking paper/parchment – (affiliate link) I use this type of cake case.
Step 2. Make up the mixture and pour into the cake case in the slow cooker.
Step 3. Cook on high for 1.5 hours approximately with a dish towel/tea towel under the lid to catch drips. Test the banana bread with a knife, metal skewer or cake tester to check if it is cooked through and adjust the cooking time as needed based on the result. You might need to cook for another 20-30 minutes if it is not yet cooked through. Or if you see burning round the edges, take it out or switch to low.
Step 4. Allow to cool. If adding frosting, make it now.
More to try
- Biscoff banana bread
- slow cooker blueberry banana bread
- slow cooker pumpkin banana bread
- slow cooker chocolate scones
- chocolate mincemeat tart from Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Also do check out my collection of Christmas baking recipes. Make sure you check out my Christmas slow cooker roundup full of edible gifts, sweet treats, Christmas dinner recipes and more, all made in your slow cooker!
Pin this recipe for later!
Slow Cooker Banana Bread
- 115 g butter softened
- 170 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300 g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 35 g butter
- 100 g cream cheese
- 200 g icing sugar
- gingerbread man sprinkles
- Grease and line your slow cooker with a large cake case (available from pound shops etc). I made this cake in my round 3.5 litre slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter together with the sugar, and then break in the eggs and beat well.
- Stir in the mashed banana.
- Add the spices, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir till well combined but try not to overmix.
- Put the mixture into the lined slow cooker pot.
- Cook on high for approximately 1.5 hours or until a skewer or cake tester comes out clean.
- Tip: Place a clean tea towel under your slow cooker lid to stop condensation dripping on top of your cake and making it soggy.
- Turn the slow cooker off, and remove the pot from the metal part carefully. Allow the pot to cool and then turn the cake out, and let it cool completely on a rack.
- If adding frosting, make up the cream cheese frosting using the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar following the method given here, then use a spatula to spread it on top of the banana bread. Sprinkle on the gingerbread men if using, and enjoy!