This slow cooker banana bread recipe uses up three ripe bananas and is lightly spiced with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice to make a banana loaf your family will love.
With the overindulgence of Christmas almost upon us, I thought a simple banana bread would be in order, with some added spice to warm it up. Time for my slow cooker banana bread!
Making Banana Bread in the Slow Cooker
This banana loaf was made in my slow cooker but could equally be made in the oven of course. The benefit of using the slow cooker is that the cake stays really moist, and can be left for a couple of hours while you do other things.
In my case, I did some Christmas wrapping with cinnamon, ginger and all spice wafting in my direction. Perfect!
Toppings for Banana Bread
I found the mini gingerbread man sprinkles in Sainsburys, my kids loved them and they top this off perfectly. You can also get similar sprinkles from Ocado.
The icing is cream cheese icing, which I made using this recipe from The Pink Whisk. I made half the amount stated to top this cake, using 100 g cream cheese.
The addition of icing gives an extra creaminess to the banana bread I think, but you can also leave your own naked if you wish of course!
How to Make Slow Cooker Banana Bread
Step 1. Line your slow cooker with a cake case or baking paper/parchment – (affiliate link) I use this type of cake case.
Step 2. Make up the mixture and pour into the cake case in the slow cooker.
Step 3. Cook on high for 1.5 hours approximately with a dish towel/tea towel under the lid to catch drips. Test the banana bread with a knife, metal skewer or cake tester to check if it is cooked through and just the cooking time as needed based on the result.
Step 4. Allow to cool. Make up the cream cheese frosting and decorate as desired.
More Recipes to Try
For more festive baking ideas why not check out this gingerbread cake with marhsmallow frosting from Penne for Your Thoughts which I bet tastes amazing, or these gorgeous whisky and ginger bundtlettes from The Crafty Larder.
I would also love a slice of this chocolate mincemeat tart from Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Also do check out my collection of Christmas baking recipes.
Pin this recipe for later!
Slow Cooker Banana Bread
- 115 g butter softened
- 170 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300 g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
For the cream cheese frosting: see recipe from The Pink Whisk in the Notes section (halve the quantities to top this cake)
- Gingerbread man sprinkles to top the cake
- Grease and line your slow cooker with a large cake case (available from pound shops etc). I made this cake in my round 3.5 litre slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter together with the sugar, and then break in the eggs and beat well.
- Stir in the mashed banana.
- Add the spices, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir till well combined but try not to overmix.
- Put the mixture into the lined slow cooker pot.
- Cook on high for approximately 1.5 hours or until a skewer or cake tester come out clean.
Tip: Place a clean tea towel under your slow cooker lid to stop condensation dripping on top of your cake and making it soggy.
- Turn the slow cooker off, and remove the pot from the metal part carefully. Allow the pot to cool and then turn the cake out, and let it cool completely on a rack.
- Make up the cream cheese frosting as described in the link above, then use a spatula to spread it on top of the banana bread. Sprinkle on the gingerbread men and enjoy with a festive hot chocolate or mulled cider!
- Recipe I used for the cream cheese frosting, from The Pink Whisk