Easy Tomato Puff Pastry Tart – WeightWatchers Friendly
Oh these heady days of summer when even turning on the oven seems like too much trouble. I do wish these days would stay a bit longer with us before they fade away. When heavy food is the last thing on your mind, a quick and easy baked puff pastry tart is one of my go-to recipes. My easy tomato puff pastry tart takes the best of the summer’s tomatoes, and makes them the star of the show.
I paired my multi-coloured tomatoes with a tasty tomato chutney as a base, which gives a lovely depth of flavour. Add these to a light puff pastry sheet and you have a dish which looks fabulous and tastes great. Enjoy the tomato tart for lunch or a light meal with salads, and why not add a cold glass of wine on the side.
If you are trying to eat healthily this summer, as we all do I think when it gets warmer, you might think that puff pastry should be avoided. Well this dish works out at 6 WeightWatchers SmartPoints per serving (4 servings), using light puff pastry, so can easily be enjoyed on your menu this summer.
Don’t the colours just scream summer to you. Plum tomatoes are my favourite kind of tomatoes, and this mix of red, orange and yellow baby tomatoes I picked up in the supermarket was full of them.
Add on some fresh basil to serve for extra flavour. A salad on the side drizzled with balsamic dressing would set this dish off perfectly.
Ideal for entertaining this summer, or just to brighten up your lunchbox, my easy tomato puff pastry tart would also be great to take on a picnic. The rich deep flavour of the tomato chutney accentuates the sweetness of the tomatoes, which increases as they bake gently during cooking.
They say it is good for you to eat the rainbow, and heirloom tomatoes in all colours would go so well in this tart. What a treat for the eyes as well as the taste buds.
Read on for the recipe! Also check out my Recipe Index for loads more recipes and ideas.
More ideas with puff pastry from top UK food bloggers to inspire you this summer:
- Creamy courgette puff pastry tart from Family Friends Food
- Ham and cheese puff pastry tartlets from Greedy Gourmet
- Easy Mediterranean tarts from Tinned Tomatoes
- Puff pastry cheese, courgette and mint tart from Kavey Eats
- Harissa, kale and roasted vegetable tart from Celery and Cupcakes
- Savoury chocolate vol au vents from Tin and Thyme
Easy tomato puff pastry tart
- 1 sheet ready-rolled light puff pastry
- 5 tbsp tomato chutney I used Branston mediterranean tomato chutney
- 250 g sweet mixed baby tomatoes different colours, halved
- 3 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- basil leaves to serve
- Cut a square from the puff pastry sheet and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Spread the pastry with 5 tablespoons Mediterranean tomato chutney, leaving a border around the edges.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and arrange on top of the chutney.
- Season with salt and pepper, then brush the olive oil around the edges of the tart.
- Bake for 20 mins at 200 fan oven.
- Garnish with the fresh basil and serve.