If that chocolate craving has hit despite the hot weather, a no-bake treat is the perfect answer!
My no-bake Malteser shortbread slice is quick and easy to whip up, you’ll only need a loaf tin to make it, and it will set in a couple of hours in the fridge.
Maltesers are a perennial favourite here, that malty flavour and crunch inside the chocolate coating can’t really be beaten. Malteser buttons are a great way to top off this no-bake slice. They have tiny pieces of Malteser inside and add even more crunch!
If you need chocolate as a matter of urgency, I recommend making this and then after 2-3 hours you’ll have the most amazing chocolate slice to savour.
The idea for this no-bake slice arrived when I came across a packet of shortbread fingers, some chocolate and a few Maltesers in the cupboard when I was wishing for a chocolate fix. Then I just had to buy more Maltesers and some Malteser buttons and I was ready to get going.
Just make sure you are well stocked like me with treats and chocolate and you can dive right in too!
How to Make No-Bake Malteser Shortbread Slice
In a few simple steps you’ll be able to put this in the fridge to chill and set:
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Melt together chocolate, butter and golden syrup (I use the microwave and it only takes a minute or two).
- Allow to cool for a bit.
- Place a layer of shortbread fingers in the bottom of the lined tin.
- Mix Maltesers into your chocolate mixture.
- Spoon two thirds of the Malteser chocolate mixture over the shortbread fingers.
- Smooth the top and add a second layer of shortbread.
- Top with the remaining Malteser mixture and smooth over.
- Add Malteser buttons on top.
- Transfer to the fridge to set. It will take approximately 2-3 hours depending on your fridge.
- When solid, slice into generous slices and enjoy!
I love the checkerboard effect of the sliced Maltesers and shortbread against the dark brown of the chocolate once you slice into this. It lasts well in the fridge in a covered container, for up to a week, if you can keep your hands off it that is!
Because the chocolate is sweetened with the golden syrup and made even silkier by the addition of the butter, it tastes caramel like and is so moreish you won’t believe it.
I made a video to show you just how quick and easy this is to make, check it out in this post.
Since the hot weather makes actual baking practically impossible right now, I reckon no-bake slices are the way to go! If you feel the same you might like the sound of coconut ice, chocolate peanut butter cornflake slice, mint aero chocolate fridge cake or M&M rocky road.
If you love this recipe, make sure you subscribe to get my posts sent to you by email. You can also follow me @BakingQueen74 on social media, and make sure you tag me if you try this recipe as I’d love to see!
Pin No-Bake Malteser Shortbread Slice for later!!
My No-bake Malteser shortbread slice is my entry for the last ever We Should Cocoa challenge which has been taking place over with Choclette from Tin and Thyme for 8 whole years! It was one of the first blogging links I took part in, my first entry was my slow cooker raspberry brownies in February 2015, I think. I’ll certain be missing this chocolate-rich link-up and taking part with other blogging friends.
No-Bake Malteser Shortbread Slice
- Place the milk chocolate, golden syrup and butter in a bowl and microwave on high for one minute. Stir well until all fully melted. Note: if the chocolate starts to seize, add a splash of milk and stir well. Leave to cool slightly.300 g milk chocolate, 3 tbsp golden syrup, 85 g butter
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place a layer of shortbread fingers in the base of the loaf tin.250 g shortbread fingers
- Mix the Maltesers into the chocolate mixture.166 g Maltesers
- Spoon two thirds of the Malteser chocolate mixture over the shortbread in the tin.
- Smooth the top, then add a second layer of shortbread fingers.
- Add the rest of the Malteser mixture over the top, smooth with a spoon or spatula, then top with the Mlteser buttons.93 g Malteser Buttons
- Transfer to the fridge and chill until set. This will take approximately 2-3 hours (depends on the strength of your fridge and the outside temperature etc).
- Once solid, slice up into chunks and enjoy! Best stored in the fridge in a covered container, especially in hot weather.