While I bake quite often, I hardly ever make cupcakes. My children love them as a treat though of course, so I thought I’d make some vanilla cupcakes with raspberry buttercream, which would also be great for Valentine’s Day.
The buttercream is made from fresh raspberries, and I used a quick and easy method to make them into raspberry purée. Read on to find out how to do it!
Simply pipe your buttercream icing, add a fresh raspberry on top and some heart-shaped sprinkles and you’re ready to go.
The fresh raspberry adds a lovely colour and flavour to your buttercream, and not a food colour in sight here.
Since the buttercream already contains sugar, I kept my raspberry purée unsweetened, and it adds a lovely tang of that fresh raspberry flavour to your cupcakes.
Valentine Recipes Ideas
Here’s a bumper selection of more Valentine ideas from me and my blogging friends:
- Raspberry shortbread hearts
- Nutella spelt pancakes
- Strawberry loaf cake
- Raspberry scones with chocolate drizzle
- Easy strawberry tarts
- Vegan Valentine shortbread sweethearts from The Veg Space
- Vegan Valentine beetroot soup from Thinly Spread
- Valentine breakfast scones from How to Cook Good Food
- Vanilla bean waffles from Supper in the Suburbs
- Pink champagne cake from Made with Pink
- Chocolate orange love heart biscuits from Fab Food 4 All
- Valentine cranberry orange scones from Farmersgirl Kitchen
- Rice Krispie heart treats from United Cakedom
- Ice cream cookiewiches from Foodie Quine
- Candy floss champagne cocktails from Happiness is homemade
- Raspberry chocolate hearts from Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
- Lime, mango and pineapple loaf cake from Recipes from a Pantry
- Raspberry and vanilla homemade marshmallows from Fuss Free Flavours
Pin for later!
Vanilla cupcakes with raspberry buttercream
For the cupcakes:
- 120 g butter unsalted
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120 g self-raising flour
- 1.5 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the raspberry buttercream:
- 100 g raspberries
- 75 g butter softened
- 150 g icing sugar
- fresh raspberries, one per cupcake
- heart sprinkles
- Cream the butter with the sugar and then mix in the eggs, flour and milk and vanilla extract.
- Fill each baking cup two thirds full
- Bake at 170 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until baked through and golden.
- Mash the raspberries with a fork and then push through a sieve to deseed.
- Microwave the raspberry puree on high for one minutes at a time, stirring between each time, for 2-3 minutes in total, so it reduces and thickens. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat together the softened butter and icing sugar to make your buttercream.
- Stir in the cooled raspberry puree to the buttercream and make sure it is mixed in thoroughly.
- Once your cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe swirls of buttercream, finish with a raspberry on top and heart sprinkles.
Sending these over to Kat the Baking Explorer and Stuart at Cakeyboi for Treat Petite